Just before the end of 2023, the Senior Tigers walking football team played their annual match against staff members from the Tigers Trust. After last year’s convincing 3 match undefeated by the Trust team was this the year for the Senior Tigers to seek revenge? A good turn-out of over 20 members meant we could turn out 3 teams to take on a good youthful line-up from the Tigers Trust team which included Hull City’s ladies captain Ellie Tanser who had scored the Tigers’ only goal in a 4-1 defeat against Wolverhampton ladies the previous day in the 3rd round of the Women’s FA Cup.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t play this year due to a pulled calf muscle the week before, but not to be left out I took on the challenge to become a referee for the day and refereed 3 games, 2 of these were Senior Tigers v Senior Tigers and the final game was Senior Tigers v Tiger Trust.

So, with a whistle in hand, my 1st game was off, and it wasn’t long before the whistle was in my mouth and the 1st infringement was blown up. As the match went on and the more confident I got, the more I enjoyed it and before I knew it the 1st match had finished without incident and any questions about my parents’ relationship!

The second game went pretty much the same as the first, really enjoyable and quickly over. After a quick break for a drink, it was onto the 3rd and final game and this was the big one for me, Senior Tigers v Tigers Trust. This game was played at a much quicker pace, and I quickly realised I had to concentrate a lot harder than the previous 2 games and be more confident in my decision without having the time to think if I had made the right call as the game moved on so quickly. What the senior tigers lacked in youth and speed they more than equalled their opponents with experience and enthusiasm. The game was played in good spirit and with a little bit more luck in front of the goal a draw and maybe a win was in reach but with the two previous games and the speed of this final game starting to take its toll on the Senior Tigers, 2 goals in a minute in the final minutes of the game gave the victory to the Tigers Trust team who finished the winners and once again undefeated in the 3 games. As I blew the whistle for the last time it was all over, with handshakes and pats on the back. I had thoroughly enjoyed my 1st experience as a referee and would jump at the chance to have another go.

Once changed it was time for us all to regroup in the bar area and enjoy the splendid buffet which had been laid on by Senior Tigers Committee members Barbara, Rob and Ernie.  It was all rounded off with a quiz by quiz master Tony and this was one area where we could take our revenge and beat the Tigers Trust.

Mike Kirman